Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wearing Your Helmet

Our women's Bible study group just finished "The Armor of God" presented by Priscilla Shirer, and I can say without reservation that it was truly one of the best Bible studies I've ever done.  I learned so much throughout the study, but one thing that particularly stood out to me was the lesson on the "Helmet of Salvation" from Ephesians 6:17.  You see, the helmet of salvation is our identity in Christ and our enemy seeks to create strongholds in our thinking that keep us from walking in our identity in Christ.  He prefers us to be crippled by self-doubt and grief over who we wish we were, instead of relishing who we really are in Christ.  He endeavors to keep us from doing what the Bible instructs us to do which is to be, "renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self [ie: helmet of salvation], which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.." (Eph 4:23,24).

God calls us to renew our mind according to His truth, and then adapt our behavior to align with that truth.  God's truth is the Bible and once we come to salvation, we are to adapt our behavior to align with scripture.  Once a person comes to salvation in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within them, giving them the desire and ability to be obedient to God's instructions.  Our enemy wants to keep us from doing this at all costs, therefore his kingdom of darkness expends great effort at poisoning our thinking with negative thoughts and unhealthy patterns of imagination to cripple our ability to clearly detect the leading of God's Holy Spirit.  It is the helmet of salvation--knowing and walking in our identity in Christ-- that protects our minds from receiving and rehearsing the enemy's lies.  It is the helmet of salvation that keeps a committed Christian from backsliding into the slimy pit of worldliness or from wandering into the weedy pasture of religiosity-- two extremes that are mutually devastating to a Christian's walk of faith.

So why are there so many Christians walking in disobedience, worldliness and religiosity?  Because our enemy is a great storyteller, always eager for us to listen to his version of truth.  That is why scripture tells us to "Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7).  To submit to God, you must agree with His truth.  To resist the devil, you have to not only stop listening to his stories, but you have to refute his lies with God's truth.  When Jesus was tempted in the desert, Satan told Him three grand tales, all three of which appealed either to Christ's flesh (stones becoming bread), His pride (worldly kingdoms will be Yours), or His faith (throw Yourself down from this ledge).  But all three times Christ refuted Satan's lies with the truth of God's word-- Jesus quoted scripture.  That is the example we have been given to "resist the devil" by our Lord and Savior.  So today, I am sharing 55 scriptures from the "Armor of God" study that testify to who we are in Christ.  These are 55 scriptures to be tucked into your helmet of salvation and used to "resist the devil".

My Inheritance And Identity In Christ

I am a child of God:  "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.." (John 1:12)
I have peace with God:  "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Rom 5:1)
The Holy Spirit lives in me:  "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" (1 Cor 3:16)
I have access to God's wisdom:  "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
I am helped by God:  "Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Heb 4:16)
I am reconciled to God:  "And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation." (Rom 5:11)
I am not condemned by God:  "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Rom 8:1)
I am justified:  "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Rom 5:1)
I have Christ's righteousness:  "For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous." (Rom 5:19); and "God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Cor 5:21)
I am Christ's ambassador:  "Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God." (2 Cor 5:20)
I am completely forgiven:  "..in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." (Col 1:14)
I am tenderly loved by God:  "The LORD appeared to him from afar, saying, 'I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.'" (Jer 31:3)
I am the sweet fragrance of Christ to God:  "For we are to God the sweet aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." (2 Cor 2:15)
I am a temple in which God dwells:  "Do you not know that you yourselves are God's temple, and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" (1 Cor 3:16)
I am blameless and beyond reproach:  "..yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach-- if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard.." (Col 1:22,23)
I am the salt of the earth:  "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its savor, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men." (Matt 5:13)
I am the light of the world:  "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden." (Matt 5:14)
I am a branch on Christ's vine:  "I am the true vine, and My Father is the keeper of the vineyard... I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing." (John 15:1,5)
I am Christ's friend:  "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because everything I have learned from My Father I have made known to you." (John 15:15)
I am chosen by Christ to bear fruit:  "If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned." (John 15:6)
I am a joint heir with Christ, sharing His inheritance with Him:  "And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ--if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him." (Rom 8:17)
I am united to the Lord, one spirit with Him:  "But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with Him in spirit." (1 Cor 6:17)
I am a member of Christ's Body:  "Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it." (1 Cor 12:27)
I am a saint:  "Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus.." (Eph 1:1)
I am hidden with Christ in God:  "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." (Col 3:3)
I am chosen by God, holy and dearly loved:  "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." (Col 3:12)
I am a child of the light:  "For you are all sons of the light and sons of the day; we do not belong to the night or to the darkness." (1 Thess 5:5)
I am holy, and I share in God's heavenly calling:  "Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, set your minds on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess." (Heb 3:1)
I am sanctified:  "For both the One who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are of the same family. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers." (Heb 2:11)
I am one of God's living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house:  "..you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Pet 2:5)
I am a member of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession and created to sing His praises:  "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, to proclaim the virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.  Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." (1 Pet 2:9,10)
I am firmly rooted and built up in Christ:  "..rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." (Col 2:7)
I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me:  "We know that anyone born of God does not keep on sinning; the One who was born of God protects him, and the evil one cannot touch him." (1 John 5:18)
I have the mind of Christ:  "'For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to instruct Him?' But we have the mind of Christ." (1 Cor 2:16)
I may approach God with boldness, freedom and confidence:  "In Him and through faith in Him we may enter God's presence with boldness and confidence." (Eph 3:12)
I have been rescued from Satan's domain and transferred into the kingdom of Christ:  "He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of His beloved Son.." (Col 1:13)
I have been made complete in Christ:  "And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority." (Col 2:10)
I have been given a spirit of power, love and self-discipline:  "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power, love, and self-control." (2 Tim 1:7)
I have been given great and precious promises by God:  "Through these He has given us His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, now that you have escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." (2 Pet 1:4)
My needs are met by God:  "And my God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:19)
I am a (princess) in God's kingdom:  "But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.."  (John 1:12); and "For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords." (1 Tim 6:15)
I have been bought with a price, and I belong to God:  "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body." (1 Cor 6:19,20)
I have been adopted as God's child:  "He predestined us for adoption as His sons through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will.." (Eph 1:5)
I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit:  "For through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit." (Eph 2:18)
I am assured that all things are working together for good:  "And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." (Rom 8:28)
I am free from any condemning charges against me:  "What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us!" (Rom 8:31); and "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Rom 8:1)
I cannot be separated from the love of God:  "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or distress or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" (Rom 8:35)
 I have been established, anointed and sealed by God:  "Now it is God who establishes both us and you in Christ. He anointed us, placed His seal on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a pledge of what is to come." (2 Cor 1:21,22)
 I am confident that the good work that God has begun in me will be perfected:  "For I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will continue to perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil 1:6)
I am a citizen of heaven:  "But our citizenship is in heaven, and we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.." (Phil 3:20)
I am a personal witness of Christ's:  "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)
I am God's coworker:  "As God's fellow workers, we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain." (2 Cor 6:1; and "For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building." (1 Cor 3:9)
I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm:  "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus.." (Eph 2:6)
I am God's workmanship:  "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life." (Eph 2:10)
I can do all things through Christ, Who gives me the strength I need:  "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." (Phil 4:13)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment