Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sweet Suffering

I have often wished that my spiritual gift was mercy.  If God had given me that gift, then I would have the right words to give someone when they are hurting or confused.  If God had given me that gift, then surely I would be able to use it more than any of the other spiritual gifts, since we live in a world that seems saturated with suffering.  But, my spiritual gift is not mercy.  As a matter of fact, when I began discipleship and my pastor evaluated my spirit, my heart, my abilities, my personality and my experience to help me determine my spiritual gift, it was mercy of which I had the least. 

One of the qualities of someone that has the gift of mercy is that they are more inclined towards alleviating the cause of someone's hurt, rather than to look for any benefit from their pain.  Whereas my natural reaction to suffering is to begin searching for answers.  My natural reaction to those who are hurting is to try and figure out why God is allowing them to hurt.  I want to give them answers more than I want to give them comfort.  That is because one of the weaknesses of my own spiritual gift is to see answers as comfort.  But not everyone wants answers, sometimes they just want to be comforted and usually any effort I attempt at comforting ends up awkward and botched.

Last night, my mother called me to tell me that one of our family members went in for a lumpectomy and ended up having a double mastectomy.  The cancer has likely spread to her lymph nodes, and if so, she will have to begin chemo.  She is not much older than me.  She has a husband, children, grandchildren, sisters, parents, family and friends that love her dearly.  As many of you who read this blog already know, my pastor, who is also my mentor and father figure, was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last fall.  Two people whom I love dearly are now fighting for their life.  So, I search for answers.

Why would God allow my pastor, a man who has dedicated his life to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to undergo such suffering?  Why would God allow my family member, a ray of sunshine in the life of so many, to experience such a seemingly cruel and unjust fate?  And while we're at it, why would God allow my friend's brother, a young man with a solid faith, a loving wife and small children, to be utterly crippled by ALS, unable to move, unable to play with his own children or wrap his arms around his own wife?   Why would God allow my husband's friend to give birth to a daughter that lived for only a few days, just long enough to become attached to, to experience the blissful embrace of her own child, only to have to let her go?  Why does God encumber us with such suffering?

And the answer He has impressed upon my spirit is because He is glorified in our suffering, but this is not the answer that most people want to hear.  He is glorified when, despite our suffering, we hold onto Him with both hands and refuse to let go, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."  (Heb 11:6).  He is glorified when our suffering brings us into a more intimate relationship with Him that we would have otherwise never pursued as long as everything in our life continued to go along smoothly, "Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me. Yet not My will, but Yours be done." (Luke 22:42).  Sometimes the suffering in our life is to remind us that there is nothing in our life that is more important than our relationship with God, so He will remove those things that have become stumbling blocks to our faith or those things that we have allowed to take His rightful place in our lives.  Sometimes our suffering is the only way we will keep our eyes on His abilities and His kingdom, rather than our own.  Sometimes God's allowance of our suffering is to simply save us from ourselves.

For those who simply want to be comforted, these answers will not satisfy your desire.  But for those who find comfort in answers, then the scriptural answer to suffering can be found at Hebrews 12:7, "Endure suffering as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?" and at 2 Cor 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."   You see, to truly follow Christ the way He calls us to follow Him, we must all endure suffering, because according to God's own word, it is our suffering that refines us.  It is our response to crisis that determines our priorities.  It is how we react to our suffering that determines whether we are true disciples of Christ.  Because it is through our suffering that we bear the greatest witness to the power of Christ that dwells within us--- the power of His Holy Sprit that has overcome the world, "In this world you will have tribulation.  But take courage, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33).

What I have learned about suffering thus far, is that it is not determined by how seemingly "good" any of us are.  What I have observed, is that those throughout history who seemed to have the greatest devotion to God, suffered greatly.  What I believe, is that it was their suffering which determined their great devotion, because it is our longing for the comfort that only the sweet presence of God can give, which brings us into genuine, deep, intimate fellowship with Him.  And what I know, is that it was God's own great suffering that brought about the ultimate presence of God-- the redemption and reconciliation of all mankind.

When I told my family member last night that I loved her and that our whole church would be praying for her, her beautiful response was, "We have a mighty and strong God, He will take care of me and all of us through this.  I'm grabbing hold tight and I ain't letting go.  All will be okay."  The one thing I have observed which my family member, my pastor, my friend's brother and my husband's friend all share in the midst of their suffering, is that they are all reaching out for something greater, they are all holding onto truth, and God is glorified.   Although their circumstances of suffering may differ, each one of them dug down deeply into their faith and have resolved to hold onto God with both hands.  And God is glorified.  They have inspired my own faith, they have strengthened my own resolve to hold onto God no matter how brutal the storms may get in my own life.  And God is glorified.  And as they each weather their own brutal storm and hold onto the cross of Jesus Christ with both hands, despite the waves crashing all around them, they glorify God with their sacrifice of faith and are glorified themselves as they each long for the comfort that only God can give and enter into the sweet intimate fellowship of His presence that only suffering can bring.

We are all part of the Body of Christ, and each of us have distinctive and unique gifts that He has given us to operate in unity with each other.  Each of us being one part, designed to work in conjunction with all the others, to make up a whole.  Whereas one may be weak, the others are strong.  One of the weaknesses of those with the gift of mercy is basing decisions on emotions, rather than on scriptural reason-- reacting to God's purposes in allowing people to suffer, being blinded by their emotions, rather than embracing what can be learned from it.  On the other hand, one of the strengths of my spiritual gift is to analyze a situation objectively and to speak the truth of God's word even when it is unpopular and difficult for others to accept-- my willingness to challenge others with truth in order to encourage their spiritual growth.  And one of those challenging truths is that God disciplines and refines us through our suffering, "so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:7). 

" 'Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? "Father, save Me from this hour"? No, it is for this purpose that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify Your name!' Then a voice came from heaven: 'I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.' " (John 12:27,28).

"And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (Rom 8:17,18)

"For our light and temporary affliction is producing for us an eternal glory that far outweighs our troubles." (2 Cor 4:17)

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial that has come upon you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you share in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed at the revelation of His glory." (1 Pet 4:12,13)

"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage; I have overcome the world!" (John 16:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment