Friday, August 21, 2015

Fashioned For Christ

The way we dress matters to God. 

No doubt we ladies like to look nice, and by all means we should absolutely take care of ourselves.  But if you spend more money on clothes, make up and jewelry than you do sowing and tithing into God's kingdom, then you have compromised. If you spend more time getting ready for church than you do sitting in church, well, then, that's kind of a problem. 
The most typical excuse I hear is, "Well, I dress for myself.  I like to look nice."  Well, that's all fine and good, but let me tell you this, if you were really dressing for yourself then you would be wearing whatever it is you typically change into once you get home and want to get comfortable.  I'm just throwin' some truth out there.

Another argument is, "Well I dress for my husband."  That's also fine and good, but if you are dressing to entice your husband, save it for the bedroom because if your husband is enticed, other men will be also.  Jesus said, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matt 5:28)  When you leave your house knowingly dressed in a way that will catch the attention of the opposite sex, you are leading others into sin.  It really is that simple. 

This is what Jesus said about causing others to sin, "but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matt 18:6); and "Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes!" (Matt 18:7).  Ouch.

And then there's the fall-back argument, "Well, men are going to look anyway."  Well, yes they are, especially if you are particularly easy on the eyes.  However, if  you have made a genuine effort at modesty, then the accountability for their lust falls upon them, not you.  Each of us are accountable unto the Lord, therefore worry about your own heart and intentions and let God deal with the rest.

Now look, I am not writing this to hurt anyone's feelings or shame anyone. I am writing about this because I have been led to do so.  I'm writing about this in obedience to the Holy Spirit, but also in love for my sisters in Christ.  I love you, I love your beautiful face, your beautiful body, your beautiful spirit, and because I truly love you I will give you truth so that you will be set free.  Ladies, we have to stop gussying up for the world and its standards and adorn ourselves with Christ.  True, lasting beauty begins on the inside, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Cor 5:17); also, "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." (2 Cor 3:18) 

Let me repeat that:  we "are being transformed into His image".  God cannot transform us into His image if we are more concerned with the image the world expects from us.  Which is not to say it is appropriate for us to be all-out slobs either.  But, "Whatever you might do, work from the soul, as to the Lord and not to men," (Col 3:23); and, "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." (Col 3:17); and "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Cor 10:31)  Whatever we do, we are to do in such a way that shows our love and reverence for God.  Whatever we do, we choose God's ways over the world's ways.

For those whom God is convicting about this, please humble yourself and listen.  Ask God to give you wisdom and guide your judgment. Jesus said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me." (Rev 3:20)  That means if the Holy Spirit is convicting us about something, we don't keep the door of our heart shut and ignore Him, but rather open the door of our heart and allow Him to come in and perform His transforming work on our mind and spirit.
 
Pride keeps the door shut, submission throws it open wide and says, "Come in.  Show me the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment