Friday, July 21, 2017

Lord Of My Doorstep

I missed You today.
And yesterday. 
And the day before that.
I missed You because I was busy.
I am so busy with my life.
Day after day, the time passes by. 
I think of You.
I breathe a word or two in Your direction.
You are a perpetual concept in my mind. 
A concept that is ever-present, so that gives me comfort.
It gives me comfort because I have confused the concept of You with Your actual presence. 
You stand at the door, but I wrestle with the thought of inviting You in. 
I have grown comfortable with Your presence on my doorstep.  
Besides, it's messy inside.  If I invite You in, I will have to clean up this mess.
I will have to get rid of some things. 
Sometimes cleaning up the mess is far more difficult than living in it.  Surely You understand?
I want You, but I don't want to clean up this mess. 
So I will let You stay on my doorstep, and comfort me from there. 
You are my comfortable concept.

My faith is one of intention, rather than practice. 
My salvation is a notion, rather than a lifestyle. 
Why should I change, if You can save me from out there and let me keep my mess in here?

I read everything but Your word, because if I read it, I will have to choose.
If I read it, then I will know better, and the avalanche of accountability will wash away my comfortable construction.

So, not today. 
Today I will miss You. 
And probably tomorrow too.
I will miss You because I am busy.
I am far too busy with my life.


"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and dine with him, and he with Me." (Rev 3:20)

"Jesus replied, 'If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word.  My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make Our home with him." (John 14:23)

"Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning.  Then you will be like servants waiting for their master to return from the wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks, they can open the door for him at once.  Blessed are those servants whom the master finds on watch when he returns. Truly I tell you, he will dress himself to serve and will have them recline at the table, and he himself will come and wait on them.  Even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night and finds them alert, those servants will be blessed! But understand this: If the homeowner had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour you do not expect." (Luke 12:35-40)

No comments:

Post a Comment