Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Properties Of Prophecy


I often get asked to teach on eschatology.  Eschatology is just a fancy theological word to say, "The study of all the stuff that happens at the end of the age or the end of humankind."  It comes from the Greek words ESKHATOS, meaning "last", and LOGY, meaning "the study of."  Therefore, eschatology involves the study of end times, which would include topics such as Christ's second coming, His millennial reign, the Great Tribulation, the rapture of the Church, the fulfillment of the Time of the Gentiles, the Time of Jacob's Trouble, the Day of the Lord, the resurrection of the dead, judgment, heaven and hell.  

Although I am interested in end-times study and have dabbled in it for over ten years, I am not all that interested in teaching on it.  I have only taught one thing about it on this blog that I posted in a seven-part series, and even when I posted it I made it clear that I had prayed to God to grant me understanding of a particular matter and what I wrote was what I felt to be an answer to that prayer.  What I wrote was still "my" understanding of how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

And that is the reality of eschatology.  Anyone who teaches on it is teaching their personal understanding of it, which is why there are so many variant takes on what the end times will look like and how it exactly plays out.  No matter what is taught, it's still speculation on how prophetic Scripture should be interpreted.  I received a message the other day from a friend lamenting over Christians arguing over a pre-, mid-, or post-tribulation rapture.  That is another reality of eschatology-- people arguing over speculation.  

Here is the thing that people need to come to grips with:  the Pharisees of Jesus' time were experts in Scripture and in interpreting it, it was their job, their lives revolved around it, and they had done it for hundreds of years, they had a rock-solid interpretation of what the arrival of their Messiah was going to look like and what He was going to do, so that is what they were all looking for and teaching others to look for......but they were wrong.  Every Jew during the time of Christ was looking for a Messiah who would be a great warrior that would overcome their oppressors.  They were looking for Messiah Ben David (the conquering King) so they missed Messiah Ben Joseph (the Suffering Servant).  And it never occurred to them or even entered their minds that Moshiach Ben David and Moshiach Ben Joseph would be the same person.  Something that is clear to us now, after-the-fact, was unfathomable then.

This is what I think about when I see people teaching their interpretations of eschatological Scriptures as fact.  Or writing books that lay out a scenario based on their interpretation of Scripture.  Or arguing over their particular interpretation with others who have a different interpretation.  Could any of these interpretations be possible?  Sure.  Are these interpretations certain?  No.  

The prophetic genre is both forthtelling and foretelling.  Forthtelling prophecies were messages for a prophet's own audience about their own day or the near future (1).  Foretelling prophecies are messages for a future audience about their own day and time.  In both instances, the prophecy is meant to be understood by the people it was written for in the time for which it was written.  Meaning, foretelling prophetic Scripture will only be properly understood at the specific time with which the prophecy is dealing with and afterwards.  For example, the prophecy at Isaiah 17 about the destruction of Damascus will only be properly understood and interpreted around the time that it actually happens, and not before.  And there will certainly be a clear understanding after-the-fact, which is one of the functions of prophecy.  The fullness of understanding is more-so meant to be after-the-fact, as a sort of "let the record show" that God was in control the entire time.

Prophecy glorifies God and His sovereignty.  It shows that He always has a plan in place, no matter what choices we make.  It confirms that He is the Alpha and the Omega, knowing the beginning from the end and the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10).  It doesn't negate human will or human decision, it merely shows that there is nothing we can do to take us outside of God's sovereignty or omniscience.  No matter what choices we make, He will always be there working around them in such a way that leads us to an outcome of ultimate good.  Prophecy has been given to us as a gift-- a gift of warning, a gift of knowledge, and a gift of hope.

"Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established and I will accomplish all My good pleasure;'" (Isaiah 46:9,10)

"I declared the former things long ago and they went forth from My mouth, and I proclaimed them. Suddenly I acted, and they came to pass." (Isaiah 48:3)

"This is what the Lord says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty:  I am the first and I am the last; apart from Me there is no God. Who then is like Me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before Me what has happened since I established My ancient people, and what is yet to come-- yes, let them foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one." (Isaiah 44:6-8)

(1)  Klein, William W., et al. Introduction to Biblical Interpretation. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment