Thursday, September 12, 2019

Ashes Of The Pulpit


"Burn the pulpit"
That is what I hear

I see the humble and faithful shepherds
With broken and contrite hearts
Sitting in the ashes of their burnt pulpits
Crying out to heaven
Heaping the ashes of idolatry on their heads
The ashes of the pulpit
The golden calf of the West
That has spread out over all the earth
A plague of idolatry
A plague of pride

I see bulls standing at their pulpits
Gripping its sides
White knuckles that refuse to let go
"I have been called by God to stand here!"
"I have been anointed to preach!"
"Authority is mine, I will not relent!"
Bulls at the pulpit
Drunk on the intoxicating wine of authority
Staggering under the delusion of power
"See my great horns!"
Charging ahead in arrogance
Destroying the kingdom of God
Their hooves pawing the ground
Kicking up the dust of confusion
Leading the sheep by ideals
Rather than truth
Bearing witness to the desires of their own heart
Rather than bearing witness to the heart of the Father

Because their fathers are the Pharisees
White knuckles that refused to let go
"I have been called by God to stand here!"
"I have been anointed by God to preach!"
"Authority is mine, I will not relent!"
Bulls in the temple
Drunk on the intoxicating wine of authority
Staggering under the delusion of power
"See my great horns!"
Charging ahead in arrogance
Crucifying the Holy One of Israel Who says,
"Meekness shall be your master,
humility shall be your guide.
Sit among the people, not above them."
But the bulls refuse
Because they are in bondage to pride

Blessed are the humble shepherds
Who see what the pulpit has become
Blessed are the obedient shepherds
Who burn the pulpit and sit among the people
Waiting for the Holy One to come

You suffocate under the weight of madness.
You have cast your own spell
Witchcraft has become your master
It is your own story you desire to tell
The story of God has no place in your heart
Although your story has a place in mine
But you refuse to dwell there
And seek your own way instead of mine

All your ways are futile
All your striving will end in defeat
If you would but sit in the dust
And remember you are dust
I would rescue you from the fate you will meet

For thousands of years my word has stood
And for a thousand more it will stand
You can read it for yourself and see
Your arrogance and rebellion will suffer my hand
What is coming you cannot see
How it will unfold, you do not know
But what I can tell you is that all will be lost
All that you have vainly sown

Only that which was sown by my will
Only that which heeded my word
Only those who sat in the dust
And remembered that they were dust
Will escape all that is destined to burn.

My word flows forth like a river
Like a river that you do not perceive
It is here, but you do not see it
And your blindness will cause you to grieve

"Zion will be redeemed with justice and her repentant ones with righteousness. But transgressors and sinners will be crushed together, and those who forsake the Lord will come to an end. Surely you will be ashamed of the oaks which you have desired, and you will be embarrassed at the gardens which you have chosen. For you will be like an oak whose leaf fades away or as a garden that has no water. The strong man will become tinder, his work also a spark. Thus they shall both burn together and there will be none to quench them." (Isaiah 1:27-31)

No comments:

Post a Comment