Saturday, February 6, 2021

Solution To The Storm


A precious sister in Christ is reproducing this painting by Rembrandt entitled, “The Storm on the Sea of Galilee,” which he finished in 1633.
 
After reading her Facebook post this morning as she chronicles her meditations upon this work, I pulled out one of my old art history textbooks I’ve kept all these years and I silently meditated on Rembrandt’s original depiction of the account we are given in Scripture. As I contemplated the scene, words began to come forth from my spirit and I wrote them down. This is what I have to share with you today:

I am stuck on a boat in a dark, stormy sea
As I look all around, I see it’s not just me
There are others on this boat who tremble and fret
Who stare at the waves and dread getting wet
 
We stare at the loud crashing sea all around
We wonder, if lost would we ever be found?
The waves, the waves— the spray and the draught!
What if we die here and our faith is for naught?

We look to the rigging, as it tangles and sways
We wonder with angst, “Is it about to give ‘way?”
Will it snap, will it seize, will we be set adrift?
Will all hope be lost as we are snatched from His fist?

We lift up a cry as we look to the sails
As they whip and they rip, thinking surely they’ll fail
We grip as they strip, we have direction no more!
Oh where is our God who tends the needy and poor?

In terror we shrink from the dark angry sky
The hope held so long in our hearts seems to die
We buckle, we flail, we wail, “We are done!”
And then from below deck, appears God’s only Son

“Oh you of little faith, why ever did you doubt?
I warned you many times this day would come about
You focused on sails, rigging, and dark stormy seas
When all of this time you should have focused on Me

“You focus on each other, on who falls and who stands
You focus on whether your brother keeps all My commands
You focus on the boat, and the size of the waves
But you must focus on Me, the only One Who can save”

(Matt 8:23-26) When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. Suddenly a violent storm came up on the sea, so that the boat was engulfed by the waves; but Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

(Mark 4:39-41) And He got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Hush, be still.” And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm. “Why are you so afraid?” He asked. “Do you still have no faith?” Overwhelmed with fear, they asked one another, “Who is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?”

(Matt 5:9) Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

(Psalm 120:6-121:3) Too long have I dwelt among those who hate peace. I am in favor of peace; but when I speak, they want war. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who watches over you will not slumber.

(Photo “The Storm on the Sea of Galilee” by Rembrandt)
(Posted on Facebook 2/5/2021 Talitha Koum)

No comments:

Post a Comment