Monday, December 6, 2021

Eternity In The Hem Of A Garment

Eternity in the hem of a garment…

As I sat in the barn yesterday, I wondered out-loud what it will be like when Jesus comes back. I wondered what it will be like when He’s standing right in front of me. Just thinking about it gave me butterflies in my stomach and I thought how strange it was that I should feel that way around the One to Whom I have poured out my soul day after day. The One Who has seen my birth and my last breath, and all moments in-between. 


I said out-loud, “Every believer will want to talk to You. Everyone will want Your attention and Your time and You will be thronged by billions.” Then I felt a sadness because I knew that I will want His time and attention also, but I’m a nobody among billions. And in that moment, I thought about the account in Mark’s gospel when Jesus was being thronged by the crowd and the woman touched the hem of His garment with longing in her heart. 


That woman was a nobody filled with longing, just like me. And even though Jesus was surrounded by a large crowed jostling against Him, it was the touch of her longing heart that caught His attention and stopped Him in His tracks. Her longing heart connected to the power that was within Him and Mark 5:32 says, “He kept looking around to see who had done this.” He sought out the nobody with the longing heart, and when He found her, “she told Him the whole truth.” She told Him her story and that would have taken some time, and Jesus gave her that time. Right in the middle of that crowd. 


On that day, the nobody with a longing heart found an eternity with Him in the hem of a garment. 


(Mark 5:30-33) …Turning to the crowd, He asked, “Who touched My garments?” His disciples said to Him, “Look at this crowd pressing around you. How can you ask, ‘Who touched Me?’” But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. But the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came in fear and trembling and fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth.


(Ps 131:1-5) You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You understand my thoughts from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. You know what I am going to say even before I say it…You hem me in behind and before; You have laid Your hand upon me.


(Ps 139:16,17) Your eyes saw my unformed body; all my days were written in Your book and ordained for me before one of them came to be. How precious also are Your thoughts for me, God! How vast is the sum of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment