Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Never Alone


I went for a walk last night, out to the bridge over our pond. 


As I met with the Lord and contemplated many things, I looked out and saw one of our ducks alone out on the water. I thought to myself, “Lord, sometimes I feel like that.” Sometimes I feel like I’m alone in the water, just paddling around by myself, trying to understand this great, big world. Trying to understand how it all fits together, and where I fit in all of it. 


Sometimes I feel the weight of smallness, as I gaze around at the whole of creation that seems to swallow me up. Sometimes I feel wary about the seeming encroaching dusk and fading light. I think to myself, “It’s coming, and there is absolutely nothing that any of us can do to stop it. Because the sun must set, and the dark night come, before we rise on the wings of the dawn.”


As I looked at the solitary duck and contemplated all my deep thoughts, I suddenly realized the duck was not alone at all. I suddenly noticed the duck’s reflection in the water and as I looked, I could now see two ducks instead of just one. And I thought to myself, “Oh Lord, that is like us! We are never alone when we are a reflection of You.” Where we are, there He is also. Always. 


And that is what I want to share with you today. Those who reflect the image of the Lord are never alone. Where we are, there He is also. Always. 


(Psalm 139:8-10) If I ascend to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, You are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle by the farthest sea, even there Your hand will guide me; Your right hand will hold me fast.


(Heb 13:5,6) Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, for God has said: “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence: “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”


(John 14:1-6) “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well. In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. And you know the way to the place I am going." “Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment