Sunday, February 5, 2023

It Is Well



“I am not offended with you…it is well.”


These words cut my heart like a sword. I am currently reading a book by Amy Carmichael about a young Indian woman named Mimosa. When Mimosa was a child, she had a momentary encounter with Carmichael who simply told her that there was God in heaven Who loved her. After those few words were shared, Mimosa was whisked away by her father, back to the Hindu village where they lived, with no other Christians to explain anything to her, nor encourage her. But the seed of truth had been planted in her heart, and there was nothing it could do but grow. 


The book recounts the events of Mimosa’s life after that brief encounter. A life filled with hardship and tragedy. An arranged marriage to a husband who was in debt and would not work to help provide for his family. Her precious son who died in her arms. A life of work in the fields, rain or shine, while her babies waited hungry at home. A community that despised her, and scorned and ridiculed the God she served. A house made of mud that caved in all around her during the monsoon rains. And through it all, she looked to heaven and said to a God she barely knew, “I am not offended with you…it is well.”


Last night, as I got a little over halfway through the book, I closed it and began to contemplate how I would react if I were to endure Mimosa’s circumstances. Convicted by her simple, yet stoic faith, I asked God to help me have a heart like that. I prayed that He would sanctify me of self-pity, of any latent indignance, of any lurking tendency to offense in me. I prayed that no matter what my circumstances, no matter what I find myself appointed to endure, that I would have a heart which looks to heaven and says…


“I am not offended with you…it is well.”


(Matt 11:4-6) Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. And blessed is any person who does not take offense at Me.”


(1 Thess 5:16-18) Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.


(Ps 34:1-3)  I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. My soul boasts in the LORD; let the oppressed hear and rejoice. Magnify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together.


No comments:

Post a Comment