Monday, February 22, 2016

I Covet

Sin is sneaky.  I think many people expect the kingdom of darkness to attempt its work in their life by obvious or grandiose means, but they would be deceived....which is the whole point of deception.  To say that the enemy of our souls is a master at his craft would be a gross and negligent understatement.  We are told in no uncertain terms in the first verse of Genesis Chapter 3, that the "NACHASH (serpent) was more ARUM (crafty, shrewd, cunning, subtle) than any living creature God made on the earth."  We are told from the beginning, that the enemy of mankind is unmatched in his craft of deceit by any fleshly being in existence.  Which means his whole method of operation is to deceive undetected as long as he can.

The Apostle Peter tells us to, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Pet 5:8).  The enemy of our souls never sleeps and neither do his henchmen.  The whole purpose of their existence is to seek ways to tempt and ensnare.  Which means that if they can't get you to sin outwardly, then they will look for ways to get you to sin inwardly. 

Which brings me to my point:  I hate my kitchen. 

Let me explain---
I love to watch home renovation shows.  But I became aware that as I watched those shows, my dissatisfaction with my kitchen grew.  As I watched those shows, my admiration for the wonderful home transformations began to transition into an anxious longing to have those transformations for myself.  My admiration and appreciation for the innovation and beauty of those home transformations began to morph into me coveting those transformations in my own life and circumstances.  Watching those shows and hating my kitchen is not a sin, but indulging in dissatisfaction and covetousness, is.  We know that covetousness is a sin because it is one of the Ten Commandments.  But dissatisfaction is also a sin because we are told that God will supply all our needs:
"But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ." (Phil 4:19)

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed." (2 Cor 9:8)

When God led the Israelites out of Egypt, He promised them that He would supply all their needs, yet they still complained.  We are told in no uncertain terms how God feels when He meets our need and we indulge in a complaining spirit:
"And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp." (Numbers 11:1).

When we complain, when we indulge in dissatisfaction and when we covet, we are doing two things that are displeasing to the Lord:
1.  We are telling Him that He is not trustworthy meet our needs
2.  We are telling Him that what He has already given us isn't good enough

The sins we commit on the inside, in our attitudes and thoughts, are the kind of sins that typically go unnoticed in our lives.  Especially the subtle snake of dissatisfaction, which always gives birth to covetousness.  For some it could be dissatisfaction with the way they look, giving birth to coveting the body shape and seeming beauty of other women.  For others it could be dissatisfaction in their marriage, giving birth to coveting the seemingly blissful relationships they see on t.v., read about in books or see in movies.  And for others it could be dissatisfaction with their car, their job, their church, their kids, or any other "non-perfect" thing in their life.  The enemy of our souls can work wonders with even the tiniest seed of dissatisfaction.

We are told at Proverbs 4:23 to, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."  We must truly guard our heart at all times, because at all times the enemy of our soul is prowling about, seeking a way in.  Seeking a way to devour our joy.  Seeking a way to devour our faith in God's promises that He will supply all our needs.  Seeking a way to devour our contentment, fulfillment and satisfaction in the needs that God has already met in our life.

"Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him." (Psalm 37:7)

"Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from Him." (Psalm 62:5)

"I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope." (Psalm 130:5)

"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" (Matt 6:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment