Wednesday, December 18, 2019

The House That Stands


The other night while I was falling asleep, the Holy Spirit put in my mind:  "The overcoming of a castle or fortress happens in waves." 

It's difficult to explain how God communicates to our spirit.  Sometimes whole sentences are just plopped into my mind.  Other times, there is a nagging concept that keeps coming up, pictures in my mind of a concept, a scene being played out over and over--I can see a thought or emotion visually.  The other night, when I was in that limbo state of not quite asleep and not fully awake, I was watching a siege take place and saw the back and forth of a battering ram.  I couldn't see what it was hitting, I just saw the battering ram as it pulled backward and sailed forward, landing at a hard stop as it hit whatever it was battering.  Over and over I saw the ramrod draw backward, then silently drive forward and its sudden, hard stop when it hit its mark, over and over.  My understanding was that this is what is happening right now in individual lives, the church, and the world systems.

That night, I saw the relentlessness of the enemy, like a battering ram making a siege against a fortress.  He makes an encampment against the object of his wrath and carries out his relentless siege against it.  He never tires, he never sleeps, he never runs out of munitions or soldiers.  His archers send fiery arrows over the fortress wall as his battering ram pounds the wall over and over, crushing blow after crushing blow.  I could feel the reverberating thunder of its strike, and I could feel the distress of many, many people in my soul.  I sensed despair, frustration, fear, angst, and thoughts of impending hopelessness.  I felt the thought that provoked and tempted many minds, "Maybe I should just give up, give in, stop fighting so hard."  The Holy Spirit communicated:  "Those inside eventually run out of food, water, and provisions and are overcome.  Only a small breach in the wall is needed to flood the fortress with enemies."  Once the breach is made, it's only a matter of time before it is overcome by the enemy, and can even be turned into a stronghold for himself.

Here is what God wants you to understand:  if your food is not the bread of heaven and if your water is not the living water of Jesus Christ, if you are not actively seeking spiritual provisions from the throne room of God, then whatever has been sustaining you emotionally, mentally, and spiritually--whatever you have been "living" off of-- is going to run out.  I'm talking about families, I'm talking about ministries, I'm talking about careers, I'm talking about whatever you have been using as a source of comfort, joy, and security other than your relationship with Jesus Christ.  I cannot stress this enough, this whole house of cards is about to topple.  I don't mean tomorrow or next month, I mean, it is happening as we speak.  It may continue to fold at a pace that is imperceptible to most, but it will fold.  If your faith has been in anything other than the cross of Christ, and if your sustenance has been from anything other than His abiding presence in your life, you will find yourself empty handed and hungry at the end of your path.  

The cross of Christ is irrespective of denomination, church structure, gender, cultural ideal, social status, nationality, political affiliation or any other thing that we tend to claim as our identity.  Our identity is found in Jesus Christ alone, and Scripture teaches that at the time of the end, God will shake everything we attempt to hold onto and identify with other than Himself.  Every human institution is under attack right now because Satan is simply taking advantage of the shaking.  God is allowing Satan to act as winnowing fork among humanity.  Which means, if you are under siege, then you need to tighten your grip on your faith and make sure you have the right provisions to hold out.  If Christ is your food and water, you will never run out.  If God is your fortress, the wall will never be breached.  Know this:  the waves of assault will continue, but a fortress founded upon the rock of Jesus Christ will never be overcome.  Know this:  your faith and trust in God are like precious silver and gold that He uses to build His glorious temple.  As a believer in Christ, you are a citizen of Zion, an impenetrable fortress of Almighty God.  Zion-- the house that stands.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms of heaven tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of heaven's armies is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold."(Ps 46:1-7)

"But now take courage, Zerubbabel," declares the Lord, "take courage also, Joshua...and all you people of the land take courage," declares the Lord, "and work; for I am with you," declares the Lord of heaven's armies. "As for the promise which I made you when you came out of Egypt, My Spirit is abiding in your midst; do not fear!" For thus says the Lord of heaven's armies, "Once more in a little while, I am going to shake the heavens and the earth, the sea also and the dry land. I will shake all the nations; and they will come with the wealth of all nations and I will fill this house with glory," says the Lord of heaven's armies. "The silver is Mine and the gold is Mine," declares the Lord of heaven's armies. "The latter glory of this house will be greater than the former, " says the Lord of heaven's armies, "and in this place I will give peace," declares the Lord of heaven's armies. (Haggai 2:4-9)

See to it that you do not refuse Him Who is speaking.  If they did not escape when they refused Him Who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from Him Who warns us from heaven? And His voice shook they earth then, but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heavens." This expression, "Yet once more," indicates the removing of those things which can be shaken--that is, created things--so that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude and worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. (Heb 12:25-29)

I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in Whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, Who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies. (Ps 18:1-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment