Thursday, October 13, 2022

Overflowing Pools

All that I know of the Lord has been given, not gained. 


When I close my eyes and reach out into the darkness, when I grope into the vast unknown, I grasp nothing. My hands always return to me empty. Yet when I sit and wait upon the Lord, I receive. He pours Himself in from above, like a brook pouring into a pool. The pool does not fill itself, it simply receives, yet it is always full. Not because it works so very hard to be full, but because it has learned how to wait and receive. 


We do not understand God because we figure Him out. We understand God because He reveals Himself to us. God has made a creature capable of comprehending Him. What a marvelous thing. As the Lord peels back layer after layer of the creature’s heart, He gets to the substance hidden deep within: the desire to know Him. “One thing I have asked of the Lord…” David says. One thing. He asks for one, single solitary thing: “That I may dwell in the house of the Lord to gaze upon His beauty and contemplate Him.” Proximity to God for the purpose of knowing Him and worshiping Him— that is the only worthy desire in the human heart. 


The Lord gives…


I give you my body and my blood to atone for your sin (Luke 22:19,20)

My peace I give to you (John 15:27)

I give eternal life (John 10:28)

I give food that will endure (John 6:27)

I will give you a new heart and a new spirit (Ex 36:26)

I give you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:19)

I give you the kingdom (Luke 12:32)


…and we are called to receive. 


Lord, teach us to receive 

That which is poured out from above

That we may be pools of living water

Overflowing with incorruptible love


O Lord, make me a pool 

A pool that is filled by Your hand  

A pool that cries out, “Lord I cannot…

..but O Lord, I know that You can!”


Lord, teach us to wait

To wait as You show us your ways 

That we may learn of Your faithfulness 

As we follow You all of our days


(Ps 27:4) One thing I have asked of the LORD; this is what I desire: to dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and seek Him in His temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment