Monday, October 31, 2022

Unfair Grace


Grace seems like such an unfair thing. 


To have a lifetime of sin and wrongs committed against others, and then to be able to confess your wrongs, to cry out, “I’m sorry!” from the depths of your soul, and be forgiven, seems unfair to those who suffered those wrongs. It seems like we should have to make amends somehow. To recompense those we’ve wronged, those we’ve hurt. That the burden of restitution for our wrongs should lay solely upon us. But that’s not how grace works. And that seems so unfair. 


As my mother lay dying, I find myself going back over all the times I hurt her. All the wrongs I committed, the treachery and selfishness. All the broken things. As I work through the grief process and the toll of loss…loss of what was and what wasn’t…I have so many “I’m sorry”s to say that she can’t hear. But the Lord hears. The Lord sees. I ask Him to see me in my nakedness. See me exposed before Him and wash me clean. I ask for the grace that seems so unfair. 


We all need this seemingly “unfair” grace. We all need this great equalizer which has been graciously imparted to us through the suffering and death of our Lord. Because that’s one of the things the cross accomplished: “unfair” grace. When we deserve judgement and we deserve to have to make restitution for our wrongs, the cross gives us the ability to cry out for forgiveness and for forgiveness be given, no matter how many wrongs we’ve committed, because Christ makes that restitution on our behalf. So great is His love for me. So great is His love for you. 


What a glorious “unfair” grace we’ve been given. As for God, His way is perfect. 


(Eph 1:7) In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.


(Acts 20:24) However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.


(Heb 4:16) Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.


(James 4:6) But He gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

No comments:

Post a Comment