Sunday, November 20, 2022

Grace, Grace, And More Grace


“I’m giving everybody grace this week. And you need lots of grace.”


Yesterday morning, one of my High School students turned in their Constantine essay late. I teach Secondary ELA, but I’m also the High School Bible teacher. While I was out the last two weeks dealing with my mother’s passing, one of the assignments I left for the High School Bible class was to write a facts vs. myths essay about Constantine that was due last Friday. 


When this student handed me their essay, they said, “I probably didn’t write enough.” And I responded, “It’s okay kiddo, I’m giving everybody grace this week. And you need lots of grace.” Then tears immediately welled up in this student’s eyes as they responded, “Yes, I do.” In that moment, the Lord reminded me how we often tend to think that our standing with Him is based on “doing enough,” when really it’s based more on recognizing our need for grace. Our Lord is far more interested in hearts that are devoted to Him, rather than hands that do enough work. 


I can’t share the backstory on this student and their particular struggles with responsibility, with identity, and with other things outside of school. But suffice it to say, that the Lord placed this student in my classroom because Jesus said it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. Mind you, not those who are rebellious and recalcitrant in their sinful sickness, but those who are wounded and languishing in it. The smoldering wicks and the bruised reeds…


…and the poor in spirit who need lots of grace. 


(Matt 5:3) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


(James 4:6,7) But He gives us more grace. This is why it says: “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.


(Matt 12:19-21) “…He will not quarrel or cry out; no one will hear His voice in the streets. A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoldering wick He will not extinguish, till He leads justice to victory. In His name the nations will put their hope.”


(Luke 5:30-32) But the Pharisees and their scribes complained to Jesus’ disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” Jesus answered, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment