Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Love Unto Obedience


“Just get it over with.”


My 7 year-old daughter got in trouble this morning. For her punishment, I gave her the option to be grounded in her room all day or to just get it over with and get a spanking. She thought about it for a little while, and finally said, “Just get it over with.”


In the aftermath, we sat on the bed together and I told her that I loved her. I told her that my rules were good rules that protected her mind and her heart, and her spiritual and physical well-being. That my rules are meant to teach her self-control and how to make good choices. Then I asked her if she trusted me. She thought about that for a minute, then said, “Yes.” And I responded, “Then you need to trust my rules.”


I’ve heard people say that the high-water mark of a true believer is love. And with that, I do not necessarily disagree. However I would expound upon that and include Jesus’ words, “If you love Me, you will keep my commandments”— commandments that are not a yoke upon our neck, but a sword to our heart. Commandments that do not shine the outside of the cup, but deal with the development of godly character within. Commandments that are good rules that protect our mind and heart, and spiritual and physical well-being. Commandments that are meant to teach self-control and how to make good choices. 


Commandments that are followed because we trust that both He and His rules are good. 


(John 13:34,35) A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you also must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.


(John 14:15,21) If you love Me, you will keep My commandments…Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.


(John 14:23) Jesus replied, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.”


(John 15:10) If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.


(1 John 2:3) By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment