Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Back To The Basics


Father, forgive me for everything I’ve ever done in Your name on my own initiative 
Father, forgive me for being guided by my own heart rather than Yours
Forgive me for confusing my noble ideas
With Your sovereign will and plan
Forgive me for attempting to teach righteousness
When I had yet to allow You to thoroughly sift my own heart
Forgive me for judging others’ sinfulness
When I should have asked You to judge mine
For comparing myself to others
When I should have only compared myself to You
For putting them under a microscope
While You were gathering them under Your grace

You bring us to the mirror
You show us our sin
We weep and we mourn
And then we strive to please You
We strive in our good works
We proclaim, “Be good! Be good!”
Not understanding that there is no good
Outside of Your Son

You let us exhaust ourselves in our own goodness
You let us crow and stomp and rant and rave
You let us pour out condemnation
You let us accuse and throw others into the grave
Until we finally see
Our righteousness is rags
Until we finally see
“There is no one righteous, not even one”

Oh Lord, thank You for showing me
That I can never be good enough
Thank you for teaching me
That I can never do right always
Thank you for revealing to me
That I can never measure up
You have brought me to the crux of eternity
You have made known my critical need
You have worked Your Spirit into the quick of my soul 
You have provided Your eternal seed
You have shown me the truth of my very being
And now I see, there is no goodness in me

I confess, “I am poor in spirit”
And I mourn as I confess
I humble myself before You
As I hunger and thirst for righteousness
Let me be merciful to those who need You
Oh Lord, make me pure of heart
Use me as a peacemaker
That I may truly be a Son of God
Let me not be a persecutor, instead of the persecuted
Oh Lord, please hear my last request
Let me not be one who insults, instead of one who is insulted
In Your Spirit alone, may my soul find rest


Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the humble and gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you,
And falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. (Matt 5:3-9)

(Luke 18:9-14) And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God be merciful to me, the sinner!’ I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment