Monday, January 4, 2021

Rising Up Together, Or Looking Down Alone?



There was a time in my ministry efforts for the Lord that I never prayed for anyone else’s ministry.

I was so focused on my own ministry efforts, that it was almost like I was in competition with brothers and sisters in Christ, rather than co-workers with them. About a year ago, God brought this to my attention and I fell before Him in shame. I saw the ugliness that was hidden in my heart, I saw it for what it truly was: selfishness and ambition. We can continue for a very long time with this hidden in our heart as we pursue ministry for the Lord. There are so many ways that it disguises itself. But one of the best ways to root it out, is to start praying for others to receive what you want from God.

I will confess to you, that this may sound simple, but indeed, it is not. It will crucify you in a whole new way. When you are racked with longing for a deeper understanding of God and for Him to reveal Himself to you in profound and meaningful ways, and then God tells you to pray for someone else to have your very heart’s desire….well, there is an excruciating death that takes place. But what we must understand is, that is the very answer to our prayer. The answer to our prayer to have a deeper understanding of God and for Him to reveal Himself to us in profound and meaningful ways, is to walk in the very steps of Abraham up to the top of Mount Moriah as he willingly offered up his heart’s desire back unto God. Believing, in faith, that such a death to himself would only lead to a greater intensity of relationship with God.

I can’t really put into words why it was so difficult for me to pray for others to know God and be used by God to the same degree that I was asking to know Him and be used by Him. Fear, jealousy, envy, selfishness? I don’t really know. Now, don’t get me wrong, I wanted people to know God deeply, but there was always a part of me that wanted to know Him just a little bit better….”Oh Lord, I prayest that thine people would knowest You and I thank You for allowesting me to knowest You just a little morest than they…”

But here is the truth that Christ wants His people to understand: our equality is only found in our vulnerability. As long as any of us try to stand just a little higher than the other, the valleys are not filled and the mountains and hills are not made low (Luke 3:4,5). The way of Christ is for us to lay down our life for our friends, to truly kneel down in the dirt as we tenderly wash their feet. This doesn’t mean that He expects us to rescue each other from our trials or to fix each other’s problems, but to pray for each other to know Him, just as we long to know Him. To pray for each other to be brought to maturity, just as we seek to be brought to maturity. To pray-- with genuine longing-- for others to be used by Him, just as we long to be used by Him.

(John 15:12-14) This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: that he lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you.

(John 13:14-16) So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example so that you should do as I have done for you. Truly, truly, I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

(Matt 20:25-28) But Jesus called them aside and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their superiors exercise authority over them. It shall not be this way among you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”

(Isaiah 40:4,5) Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill made low; the uneven ground will become smooth, and the rugged land a plain. And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all humanity together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

(Posted on Facebook 12/10/2020 Talitha Koum)

No comments:

Post a Comment