Monday, January 4, 2021

The Muddied Path



As I walked out to the barn this morning, I only looked downward, watching my feet take each step. I never looked up to see what lay in my path ahead. When I got to a mud puddle, I stepped over it or changed direction to go around it, but I never looked up to plan my route to the barn. I just walked along, only looking at how I was walking, rather than where. 

As I walked, I thought about how I usually like to see where I am going. As I walked, I kept fighting the urge to look up and look ahead. I really wanted to look ahead and see the best path to the barn, the quickest path, that would avoid all the mud puddles. But God ministered to me in that moment that often times, when we want to look out ahead of ourselves, when we want to see where we are going so we can plan our best route, what He really wants us to do is just focus on each step. Often times, He’d rather us just stay focused on how we are walking, and simply trust that He will lead us to the “where.”

Beloved, sometimes the only thing you will be able to see is your feet. The furthest ahead you will be able to look is your next step. And perhaps you will even find yourself in front of a mud puddle— a small one you can step over, or a big one you will have to walk around. You will have to trust that even though you can’t see out farther ahead to plan your best route, God is already leading you down the route He has planned for you. And even though you may find yourself in front of some pretty deep mud puddles, God’s route is always the best route. No need for us to see out ahead. 

(Psalm 139:16-18) Your eyes saw my unformed body; all my days were written in Your book and ordained for me before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God, how vast is their sum! If I were to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand; and when I awake, I am still with You.

(Rom 8:28-31) And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified. What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

(Psalm 37:23,24) The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, for the Lord is holding his hand.

(Posted on Facebook 12/12/2020 Talitha Koum)

No comments:

Post a Comment