Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Resting In His Plan

I asked my daughter to sweep.  


I gave her a job to do, and the first thing she wanted to know, was if I had asked her sister to do a chore too. I told her not to worry about her sister, to just focus on what I had asked her to do. Then she asked, “Momma, how much do I have to sweep?” And before I could answer, she asked, “Do I just have to sweep the dining room, or the kitchen too?….What about the hallway?” She wanted to know my plans. She wanted to know exactly what I had in mind. And in that moment, I saw so much of myself in my own child. 


I thought about all the times I’d been like that with God. All the times I’d been more worried about what other people were doing, rather than focusing on what the Lord had asked me to do. All the times I wanted to know exactly what His plans were, because I wanted to be given  answers more than I wanted to grow in faith. “Why, Lord?”… “When, Lord?”… “What next, Lord?” 


I’ve asked all those anxious questions. At times, I even ran around in circles trying to answer them. Because just like my daughter, I wanted to know what to expect. I wanted to know the plan. But when I gave my daughter a job, all she really needed to know, was that there was a plan… and she was part of it… and I would be faithful to lead her through it… step by step…


… and that’s really all we need to know, too. 


(Ps 40:4,5) Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders You have done, and the plans You have for us—none can compare to You—if I proclaim and declare them, they are more than I can count.


(Prov 3:5-7) Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil.


(Rom 8:27,28) And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment