Monday, February 28, 2022

The Needed Portion

Often times, we come to the Lord seeking a portion, but we do not receive the portion we expect. 


Many mornings I will sit at His feet, with expectant desire for a certain answer or encounter. I will go to the Lord in prayer, looking for answers or comfort. I will have an idea in my heart about what I need, I will have a picture in my mind of what I desire and what the fulfillment of that desire ought to look like. But there are so many times that the Lord does not perform the way I expected. 


No one knows how to meet our need better than the Lord. And I have found that more often than not, His way is far better than what I expect. We ask of the Lord based on our reason, but He answers us based on His understanding. I reach out for a crust of bread, and He hands me back seeds and a shovel. I ask for rain, and He gives me drought to make the roots reach deeper into the soil. 


The Lord answers our prayers, but He answers them in a way that will mature us into sons. A child reaches for a crust of bread and receives bread from their loving father, but that same loving father teaches a son how to grow enough bread to feed multitudes. Tender shoots may require regular rain to establish themselves, but deep roots are required for a mighty oak that cannot fall. And deep roots require times of drought. 


Thank you blessed Lord for not always giving us the portion we expect, yet always the one perfectly needed. 


(Luke 10:41,42) “Martha, Martha,” the Lord replied, “you are worried and upset about many things. But only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, and it will not be taken away from her.”


(Gal 3:29-4:4) And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise. What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he is the owner of everything. He is subject to guardians and trustees until the date set by his father… But when the time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive our adoption as sons.


(1 Cor 13:9-12) For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. Now we see but a dim reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

No comments:

Post a Comment