Monday, April 4, 2022

A Wish For What He Wants


“Mommy, make a wish…”


I went for a walk to the pond yesterday with my seven year-old daughter. As we walked, she picked a dandelion and said, “Mommy, make a wish!” I asked, “Can I say my wish out loud?” She said, “Yes.” So I closed my eyes and blew as hard as I could on the dandelion fluff and said, “I wish Jesus would come back soon.” When we started to walk again, she said, “Well, maybe He will.” Then I asked her, “What’s the first thing you’d say to Him when you see Him?” And she replied matter-of-factly, “I’d rub His feet.” 


In my mind, I was thinking about all the questions I’d ask Him. In her mind, she wasn’t thinking about what she would ask at all, but about what she would do. Humbly amused, I inquired, “You’d rub His feet?” And she answered, “Yeah, because I think He’d like that. I wanna do what He wants.” 


I’m sure if we were asked, most of us would probably say the first thing we’ll do when we see Jesus, is fall at His feet in worship. And maybe that’s true. I don’t know. But in that moment, all I knew was that I wanted that dandelion back. All I knew was that I wanted to make another wish. A wish that wasn’t about what I wanted, but about what He wanted. 


O Lord, may the longing of our heart be about what You want, more than what we want. 


(John 6:38) For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but to do the will of Him who sent Me.


(John 8:28,29) When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases Him.


(John 13:13-15) You call Me Teacher and Lord, and rightly so, because I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example so that you should do as I have done for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment