Friday, April 22, 2022

Distracted In A Ditch


“A centipede was happy till

One day, a toad in fun

Said, “Pray, which leg goes after which?”

Which strained his mind to such a pitch

He lay distracted in a ditch

Considering how to run”


This was a poem from my devotional for today. Before I opened my devotional, I tried to pray but couldn’t. The words just wouldn’t flow. Frustrated, I asked the Spirit to pray instead. I asked the Lord to give me the right words so I could pray the right prayers, because I didn’t know how. I wanted to get everything right. I wanted to say all the right things, in all the right ways, at the right time. Then I opened my devotional, and here lay a poem about overthinking. 


Sometimes the Lord has to remind me to just “be” in Him. Sometimes the greatest stretches of my faith are moments when I have to trust that my steps are truly ordered by the Lord, even when my mind is muddled and my feet are fumbling. Oswald Chambers said, “The ministry of Christ is characterized by an abiding glory of which the servant is totally unaware,” and this has always been a great comfort to me on days when I feel oblivious. I pray it will be a great comfort to you, too. 


O Lord, may we truly abide in You by faith. May we trust that our days and moments belong wholly to You, and that our call is not to over-consider each moment, but to allow each moment to dwell within You. 


(Ex 34:29) And when Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was unaware that his face had become radiant from speaking with the LORD.


(Eph 2:10) For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.


(Ps 37:23,24) The steps of a man are established by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, for the LORD is holding his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment