Friday, April 29, 2022

Temper Or Transformation

Tests of character are always unannounced. 


They arrive in full gear, ready to make a sweep of the house. Ready or not, these tests come. And it is here, in these random surprise provocations, where we prove our spiritual mettle. Last night, my spiritual mettle was tested when my teen shared with me that a fellow student spread a rumor that was untrue in an attempt to destroy a precious group fellowship. Lies were spoken and lies were believed, and “Momma-bear” wanted to immediately rectify. 


I’ll be blunt:  I was both furious and disgusted. Most of the evening, I consciously and willfully endeavored to maintain my repose. While at the same time, I mourned how un-Christlike both my reaction and thoughts were. I thought to myself, “O Lord, I still have so much further to go to be more like You!” But by the time I went to bed, I prayed for the child who spread the rumor, and the other two children who started it. And I prayed good things for them. 


This morning, when I opened my devotional, it began with the question, “Did you ever feel almost hopeless because it seemed so impossible that you would ever be in the least like your Lord?” The Lord, in His magnificent grace, saw fit to remind me this morning that His transformation of me into His image is both steady and faithful. “It is not the work of a moment [but] steadily as the growth of a plant goes on from hour to hour, for the Lord says it will.”


O Lord, may we fully embrace Your promise that You will perfect that which concerns us. May we remember that even though our transformation is gradual, it is no less sure. 


(Phil 1:4,6) In every prayer for all of you, I always pray with joy…being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.


(2 Cor 3:18) And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.


(Psalm 138:7,8) If I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve me from the anger of my foes; You extend Your hand, and Your right hand saves me. The LORD will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever; Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment