Tuesday, May 17, 2022

A Word To The Gardeners

“…souls cannot be hustled.”— Amy Carmichael


I planted a garden this year, and the Lord has been ministering to me greatly through it. There have been mornings when I stand at my window and look out at it, and the Spirit reminds me that I cannot watch it grow in real time. I cannot perceive any change or growth, no matter how long I stand there and stare at it. Even so, it does grow. 


I planted this garden, and I water it and I weed it, but I do not make it grow. I cannot hurry the growth of this garden. I cannot stand out amongst my plants and will them to grow faster. I can give them water and I can keep the weeds from choking them out, but I cannot produce the life that is in them, nor can I increase that life or determine it’s limit. I cannot hustle this garden. I can only tend to it patiently, as a force that lies completely outside of myself causes it’s growth. 


In the parable of the sower, Jesus tells us that the seed which falls in good soil will “bear fruit with patient steadfastness.” The writer of Hebrews says, “..you have need of patient endurance” to receive what was promised. More often than not, I have focused on my “doing in faithfulness” rather than my “waiting in patience.” Not realizing that sometimes, our “doing in faithfulness” is to “wait in patience.” This is God’s word to the gardeners: “You cannot hustle souls, you have need of patient endurance.” 


Thankfully Paul tells us, “..God will supply all your needs” in Christ Jesus. 


(Rom 15:4-6) For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.


(1 Cor 3:7) So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.


(Prov 16:32) Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city.


No comments:

Post a Comment