Friday, May 20, 2022

Driven By Whim Or Wisdom?


“I pray that we will not be a people driven by whim, but by wisdom.”


I don’t think most of us realize how much of our daily decisions are driven by whim. Over the years, the Lord has shown me the unfortunate reality that an entire ministry can be built upon whim and driven by impulse. None of us are immune to this subtle deception, because the enemy who usually works this type of deception is ourself. We are very good at convincing ourselves. 


Paul was superbly educated in Scripture and zealous for God, but all of it was misguided, destructive, and vain, until he had a personal encounter with the One he claimed to serve but did not know. It all came crashing down the day he traveled the road to Damascus, full of his own purpose in God based on whim and impulse. Paul came face-to-face with the God he had convinced himself he was serving and asked, “Who are you…?”


Those three words should stand as an everlasting sentinel between those who merely preach the Lord, and those who truly know Him. Those three words should remind us that when Jesus responded to Paul, saying, “I am Jesus..”, Paul’s humble response was, “What would You have me do?” I find myself wondering if it was the first time he finally asked for God’s input…with a willing heart to receive it. 


O Lord, may we have the humility needed to always ask, “What would You have me do?”… and may we have a willing heart to receive Your response. 


(1 Sam 23:1,2) Now it was reported to David, “Look, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and looting the threshing floors.”So David inquired of the LORD, “Should I go and attack these Philistines?”


(1 Sam 30:7,8) Then David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelech, “Bring me the ephod.” So Abiathar brought it to him, and David inquired of the LORD: “Should I pursue these raiders? Will I overtake them?”


(2 Sam 2:1) It happened after this that David inquired of the LORD, saying, “Shall I go up to any of the cities of Judah?” And the LORD said to him, “Go up.” David said, “Where shall I go up?” And He said, “To Hebron.”


(2 Sam 5:18,19) Now the Philistines had come and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. So David inquired of the LORD, “Should I go up against the Philistines? Will You deliver them into my hand?”

No comments:

Post a Comment