Monday, May 16, 2022

The Tent That Stood

I came across a tent one day

While crossing the desert sands

Crumpled and rumpled 

Folded and worn 

It lay and did not stand 


I stood and thought of all the ways

That tent could benefit me

Pitched and stretched 

Rigid and taught

Shading me entirely 


I picked it up and got to work

Smoothing out all the creases

Pulled and pressed

Flattened and tamed

Binding all the pieces 


“You are tearing me apart!”

It wept and cried as I worked 

As I yanked 

And I pushed 

And I lengthened each cord 

And I stretched it beyond limit 


“You will rend me unto death!”

It moaned and sighed at at my craft 

As I combed 

And I brushed 

And inspected each stitch 

And removed the dirt within it 


I picked it up and set it right 

Gathering cords and ropes 

Pegged and staked 

Anchored and moored

A shelter for all hopes 


I stood and thought of all the ways 

Multudes would be covered 

Soothed and calmed

Guarded and safe

Shade for every brother 


I came across a tent one day 

While crossing the desert way

Large and broad 

Grounded and strong 

It stood and did not lay 


(Isaiah 54:2,3) Enlarge the site of your tent, stretch out the curtains of your dwellings, do not hold back. Lengthen your ropes and drive your stakes in deep. For you will spread out to the right and left; your descendants will dispossess the nations and inhabit the desolate cities.


(Ex 33:7-14) Now Moses used to take the tent and pitch it at a distance outside the camp. He called it the Tent of Meeting, and anyone inquiring of the LORD would go to the Tent of Meeting outside the camp…As Moses entered the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and remain at the entrance, and the LORD would speak with Moses…face to face, as one speaks to a friend…Moses said to the LORD,…”If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.”…The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”



No comments:

Post a Comment