Thursday, August 25, 2022

In My Lane

“I’m in my lane.”


My High School students had their first grammar test today. They used their study hall period this morning to go over their study guide, and a few of them still had questions, so their study hall teacher, who is also their marine biology teacher, was gracious enough to allow me to come to the classroom and work through the answers to the study guide on the board. As I taught and answered questions by doing the work on the board, she sat there wide-eyed and at a loss and said, “It’s like you’re speaking another language!” In an attempt to reassure her that her lack of grammar knowledge was not a reflection of any lack of biology skill on her part, I replied, “I’m in my lane.” 


English language arts is my lane. It’s what I do, and it’s what God has gifted me to do. Science is her lane. It’s what she does, and it’s what God has gifted her to do. If I were to sit through one of her classes on shark biology, I would sit there wide-eyed and at a loss, as if she were speaking another language… because biology is not my lane. I can’t compare myself to someone else, using the qualifications of their lane. And we can’t make this same mistake in the Body of Christ, either. 


For example, I’m very good at meeting practical needs, but my sister is very good at meeting emotional needs. If someone expected me to meet their emotional need in the same manner as my sister could, then frustration will enter into the picture and inevitably give birth to all sorts of other weeds-in-the-garden, like bitterness, resentment, and criticism. We must not expect things from others that they are not equipped to give. Or perhaps, we must not set a bar for someone at a height that they are not capable of reaching. We must remember that we each have a lane…


…and our job is to encourage each other as we shine in them. 


(1 Cor 12:4-6,11) There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different ways of working, but the same God works all things in all people… All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.


(1 Cor 12:14,25-27) For the body does not consist of one part, but of many… there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other… If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it.


(Heb 3:13; 10:24,25) But exhort one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness… And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.



No comments:

Post a Comment