Saturday, August 20, 2022

The Experience Must Come


The experience must come. 


For a long time I used to pray, “Lord, make me wholly thine.” I prayed that, and I meant it. But one day the Holy Spirit showed me that in many respects, we pray that while still standing on the banks of the Jordan. One day, as I prayed, “Lord make me wholly thine…” He pointed out that I was leaving off the last, and most important part, which was: “…by whatever means necessary.”


We may stand on the banks of the Jordan and pray with true desire in our heart, but at some point, we must act upon our desire to be “wholly thine” and step into the waters of experience. At some point, our faith must transcend the realm of “notion” and enter the realm of “actuality.” In other words, faith must leave the banks of the Jordan and be walked out in its deep waters. 


The problem with deep waters, is that there is no ground beneath your feet. In deep waters, you are at the mercy of the current— a thing in which you have absolutely no control over. It’s sink or swim, and sometimes it feels a whole lot more like “sink” than “swim.” But to be “wholly thine” means that we are so, whether we sink or swim. If we sink, we find the Lord was beneath us the whole time. If we swim, we find the Lord was beneath us the whole time. We tend to see sink or swim as a fail or succeed dichotomy, but the truth is, whether we are abased or abounding, we are still in Christ. Whether sinking or swimming, He is there. 


Beloved, He is the creator of the waters, and as the waters surround us, so does He. 


(Phil 4:11-13) I am not saying this out of need, for I have learned to be content regardless of my circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.


(Is 43:1,2)  …O Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you go through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched; the flames will not set you ablaze.


(Is 41:9,10) I brought you from the ends of the earth and called you from its farthest corners. I said, ‘You are My servant.’ I have chosen and not rejected you. Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will surely help you; I will uphold you with My right hand of righteousness.


(Joshua 3:13) And it will come about when the soles of the feet of the priests who carry the ark of the LORD, the Lord of all the earth, rest in the waters of the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan will be cut off, that is, the waters which are flowing down from above; and they will stand in one heap.”

No comments:

Post a Comment