Tuesday, November 2, 2021

What Ships Are Built For




As I slowly drive down my long driveway on foggy mornings when I leave my house, I often think to myself, “This is what I feel like, Lord.”

I can see the road in front of me and I can see the direction I’m headed in, but I cannot see what lies beyond. There are long stretches where the road is smooth and easily passable. But there are also large potholes that cause me to slow down and pass more carefully. Each foggy morning, I am reminded that my walk with the Lord often seems just like this. 


Some days I don’t even want to leave my house. I want to stay in the safety and comfort of my home. I don’t want to deal with the brokenness of the world. I don’t want to see what lies beyond the end of that driveway. But the other day, someone reminded me of a quote by John Shedd: “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” Those of us who belong to the Lord are all ships in one way or another, meant to set sail upon the waters of this world. 


Truly, we are warships of Messiah, not built for harbors. We are built to endure the deep waters— waters that are sometimes calm, and sometimes stormy. Sometimes we may even face seasons of thick fog, where we can see the direction we are headed in, but cannot see what lies beyond. Teddy Roosevelt once said that warships should be kept moving, because even though they face some of the greatest risks, if left in the harbor they will rust and rot. 


Brothers and sisters, perhaps you feel a great fog has settled all around you and you can’t see what lies beyond. Or perhaps you don’t even feel like leaving the harbor. But today I want to remind you: That’s not what ships were built for. 


(Matt 5:14,15) You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.


(1 Cor 13:9,10,12) For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when that which is perfect comes, the partial will pass away…For presently we see through a glass in obscurity; but then, we will see face to face. Presently, I know in part; but then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known.


(Isaiah 43:1,2) Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine! When you go through deep waters, I will be with you; and when you go through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched; the flames will not set you ablaze.


(Joshua 3:3-5) “When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God being carried by the Levitical priests, you are to set out from your positions and follow it. Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before”…Then Joshua told the people, “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.”