Saturday, March 5, 2022

Grace On The Journey

Elijah ran away from God and toward God at the same time. 


Most people understand the account at 1 Kings 19 as Elijah running away from Jezebel, but that’s not really accurate. Any time we run away from our calling in fear and doubt, regardless of the circumstances that cause it or whatever face may be the impetus for it, we are running away from God. I’ve always marveled that God let Elijah run away. Not only that, but He also sent an angel to bring him food for the journey. Like, “Here ya go buddy, knock yourself out. I’ll be waiting for you when you get here.” 


I get Elijah. I know what it’s like to think that I’m running away from God, when really, He’s just using all my crummy circumstances to drive me into His arms. I know what it’s like to seek God for answers, but ask Him all the wrong questions and feel angry and frustrated at His intolerable silence. I know what it’s like to say, “It is enough! Lord take my life…” and I know what it’s like for the Lord to answer all my shouting simply with, “What are you doing here?” (1 Kings 19:4,9). 


Someone asked me the other day, “Why can’t I let God in?” And for two days I contemplated this question because I didn’t have an answer for them. As I wept in prayer this morning, I asked God again, “What is the answer?” And He finally said, “I didn’t give you an answer because it’s the wrong question.” He said the right question is, Why do we run? What is it we don’t want to face? And that answer will be different for each one of us. But there is one thing that we can all remember…


…God gave Elijah grace and provision, even while he was running from Him.


(1 Kings 19:4-7) He sat down under a broom tree and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life”…Suddenly an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.”…The angel of the LORD came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.”


(Is 41:9,10) I brought you from the ends of the earth and called you from its farthest corners. I said, “You are My servant.” I have chosen and not rejected you. Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will surely help you; I will uphold you with My right hand of righteousness.


(Neh 9:15) In their hunger You gave them bread from heaven; in their thirst You brought them water from the rock. You told them to go in and possess the land which You had sworn to give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment