Saturday, March 19, 2022

Let It Ride

“You’re just gonna have to let it ride.”


I’m not sure where that statement originated, but we say it a lot in Texas. It has a couple different connotations. On the one hand, it sorta means “I’ll allow it, just let it pass.”  On the other hand, it also means, “You’re just gonna have to stay on that horse until it’s done walking because there ain’t no getting off, and no amount of hollering and kicking are gonna change your circumstances.” 


There was a time when I was tempted to spend more time defending the ministry to which I’d been called, rather than simply walking in it. I struggled with a compulsion to explain myself. I often felt provoked to defend myself. There were times I wrote more about why I was saying something, more so than just saying what God had given me to say. I ministered in a way that was reactionary, rather than revelatory.


One day I finally realized, “I’m just gonna have to let it ride.” I’m just gonna have to be misunderstood and be quiet about it. I’m gonna have to be criticized and misinterpreted and stop making veiled complaints about it. I’m gonna have to allow the Lord to work patience, meekness, gentleness, and endurance into me in whatever way He sees fit. Because there ain’t no getting off this horse, and no amount of complaining-disguised-as-ministry is gonna feed anyone’s soul. 


Brothers and sisters, whatever ministry you’ve been called to, you’re just gonna have to let it ride. 


(Gal 1:15,16) But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being.


(1 Cor 1:22-24) Jews demand signs and Greeks search for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.


(Col 3:1,2) Therefore, since you have been raised with Christ, strive for the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things


(Phil 3:13,14) …But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize of God’s heavenly calling in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment